Saturday, January 13, 2007

Words

I'm tossing spelling words at the kids in the car--it passes the time on the Maisie-to-Baltimore drives. Liam hears some of Maisie's more ambitious words, gets annoyed, and says, "I can spell Mississippi, you know."

"Spell it," I say.

"M-r-s-period-i-p-p-y," he says. I smile. Maisie immediately corrects him, and he gets annoyed and barks at her, and she barks back, and it becomes the standard scene. But this time, embedded in the part where they both appeal to me for justice, Maisie tosses at him, "She's my REAL mother!"

Dead silence. I couldn't breathe--couldn't believe she'd say such a thing.

"I'm Liam's real mother, too," I say, "and if I ever hear that come out of your mouth again I really don't know what I'll do."

She recoils; she can't believe she said it either, I can tell. I'm second-guessing: did I make it worse by getting so pissed off? More dead silence. Finally a whispered apology from her. Liam remains silent through all of it.

The fact is, there is a difference in my relationships with the two of them--history, biology and color are easy starters--but after a period of SUCH focus on Liam's biological family--the search, the find, the photos, the letters--the three of us instinctively work very hard now to focus on what makes us a family--not what sets us apart from other families; you can get to a point of displacement very quickly, believe me, if you don't watch the focus. A hard balance for me, being the type to look under every rug and pull apart every dream--the type that believes more harm is done by not looking than by looking and struggling.

Tonight it's just me and Liam. He's cutting snowflakes out of computer paper, and talking to me about my old age. He hums a little tune he heard somewhere, and asks about a complicated story we heard on Ira Glass's program tonight. He asks if he would've had to sit in the back of the bus when Rosa Parks was young, and then says it would've really pissed him off. He negotiates for a new Nintendo game tomorrow instead of church. He chooses crab bisque over Indian food, twists paperclips into a long chain, reads the time off his new analog wristwatch every three minutes (new skill). He seems happy.

"Amee tumakay bhalo pachee," he says, and grins. It's the first time he's said it right--"I love you" in Bengali. I kiss his temple, because I don't know how to say, "Me too" in Bengali, and I don't want to repeat what he said because he'll think I'm correcting his pronounciation, and I want to stay where he is. "Dhonya baad," I say. "Thank you" I know, at least. And he's off to Playstation.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speechless and teary eyed.....

8:45 PM  
Blogger Grumpy Old Man said...

The closer you are to someone, the more adept you are at hurting them. You were right to tell Maisie this was a no-no.

When Z. was wearing an eyepatch, we had to make it very clear that this was serious business. Teasing on this score was verboten.

She'll get it.

Being a parent is like the "damn'd business of writing." You need your brains all the time.

9:06 PM  
Blogger sttropezbutler said...

Everyday I am more and more impressed.

STB

10:52 AM  
Blogger puhpaul said...

The grumpy old man speaks the truth. The more we love someone, the more deeply we can hurt them. You did the right thing.

paul

3:01 PM  
Blogger tomvancouver said...

I'm Liam's real mother, and you stole him from me!

You handled that with grace , not just Liam but Maisie as well. I'd rather have Indian food than crab bisque though. This is sort of awful, but when my little brother was 11, and somehow knew my twin sister was having her period, he suddenly screamed at the top of his lungs, "She's in heat and wants some man to come fuck her." My Mother almost had a heart attack and I thought she was going to hit him He didn't understand dogs aren't people.

6:57 PM  
Blogger phosda said...

if families weren't at least a little factious, they wouldn't be families.

"i don't know what i'll do" is my favourite threat. no telling with that one.

1:53 PM  
Blogger alan said...

I would love to have been raised by you...

He's not the only boy off to his Playstation (blush)!

alan

3:03 PM  
Blogger CrackerLilo said...

Kids'll be mean sometimes. I'm so glad you nipped it in the bud quickly. They'll both remember it.

*hug*

8:11 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Wow, Inger, you handled that very well. I wonder what really triggered Maisie to say what she did or if it was simply one of those unconsciously cruel things kids sometimes let slip.

Growing up, my family took in foster kids so we had the League of Nations in our house. To me they were all my brothers and sisters but sometimes, as the only biological child, it was hard to get noticed.

1:02 PM  
Blogger mckait said...

yep

words.. can't unsay them. That was a rough one.

Even adults often do not think before they speak, kids can't either, but still.. a rough one.

hope all is well with you...

6:28 AM  
Blogger sjobs said...

I just love your boy......

It amazes me what comes out of Kiran's mouth when I least expect it....When she told me that I couldn't boss her because Sefali Bibi was her mother, I almost feel over.

Hang in there girlfriend......

Mary

12:14 AM  
Blogger Trudy Booty Scooty said...

We moms have to teach them so much.

Things we wish they somehow just instinctively knew...

And when our children DO instinctively have certain life skills, it sometimes surprises us when they fumble.

But fumble, they do.
And catching them, setting them firmly back on course, we do.

And those quiet uttered apologies, and bruised feelings, show us that they care and it matters to them...
and reminds us that they are blooming before our eyes, under our tender guidance.

Both of your children are so lucky to have you, Inger. And you them, I know. :)

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home