Friday, January 05, 2007

Ugly

I fired someone today. I've lied through many interviews about being able to fire people--it's a skill companies look for these days. And my sister has fired plenty of people, working in retail back in the day. I've had to break the news to people that our company was shutting down and they'd have to pack their bags. And I've helped people through the process of realizing for themselves that the job they had was not the job they wanted, and I watched them walk away with a mutual nod and sigh. Firing someone seems like the cheap way out of human interaction. Who among us hasn't fucked up? Judging is hard for me. No surprise to anyone here.

Today, at 3, I blindsided a person with, "I'm terminating your position with the company, effective today."

It's not that it was undeserved. It's not that she didn't craft the moment herself with her behavior over years--years--with the company. It was well documented. And then she did one more thing--one more angry, contempt-filled thing--and I had to either ignore it or not. I decided it was time not to ignore.

This morning I was nervous, knowing what was to come. Maisie asked me what was wrong, and I told her that I had to fire somebody. "Why are you nervous?" she asked. I talked to her like I was an old hand at firing, but I was thinking of something I heard a farmer say about the job of slaughtering sheep: "When you do this," I said to her, "you should feel sick to your stomach, and your hands should be cold, because you're changing somebody's life, and it hurts them. It's serious."

The woman threw on the face I've seen her use so often--nodded and smiled through my brief comments. She's a bit brittle; I think that behind that smile there's a howl that would make you grab your ears. She chatters when she's nervous. I had to interrupt her apologies to break the news. In the end she looked at me--this was when she got teary--and told me that she loved this company and really cared about the projects she'd been working on. She told me I could call her if I needed help--if I couldn't find something I needed. I told her that I was sorry--that I wished her only good things--and I resisted the temptation to hug her. Then she was shepherded off to clean out her office.

I'm certain this person needed to leave the department she was in. I'm sure it never could have worked--sure I never could have changed what needed to be changed in her to make it work. But I looked at her beside me today and saw a sad, middle-aged woman who's had a tough emotional life--it's just right there, etched in the face--who's leaving a job she's been in for nine years with no severance and no letter of recommendation. What if she can't find another job quickly? She's alone--no husband, grown daughter. What if she hasn't got savings? Whatever role she had in bringing the moment around, it's my name on the bottom of the letter. My karma.

Prayers for Jane tonight, though I'm not the prayerful sort and she surely doesn't want my prayers if I were. I hope her good news is waiting for her, and that there's not twenty miles of bad road between here and there.

7 Comments:

Blogger sjobs said...

First of all, don't feel bad, it had to be done. She will find something another job. It is not your fault that she wasn't doing the job she should be doing.

Saying that, I am all big and tough but don't really know what would happen if I had to let someone go. I would probably have to aviod the temptation to invite them over for dinner and drinks.

Take care girl,

Mary

12:27 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

eek. i don't envy you.

ironically, i was laid off with severance pay and letter-of-reference-two weeks before xmas. my position was "automated", like so many receptionist's positions of late. it's never easy, on either side of the desk. it's been a definite period of adjustment.

for now, i am thrilled with my freedom, as are my kids. i NEED this time, after years of devotion to a company in the throes of downsizing-to-save-it's-skin.

1:18 AM  
Blogger Grumpy Old Man said...

It's never easy. It's worse when it's someone you like who's just not very competent or doesn't fit the job.

Of course, when you have to call the cops "to avoid a breach of the peace" when you fire someone who has just lost his cool, it's easier.

10:07 AM  
Blogger alan said...

I can't imagine being the one to do this, no matter how well deserved it might be.

That said, I don't think something done "in the line of duty" should affect your Karma; if it does then I'm doomed for the time I spent on Yankee station off the coast of Vietnam so many years ago!

alan

1:28 PM  
Blogger nancy =) said...

damn...between this woman and the divorced women who's alimony stopped from a coupla posts back, i don't know who i should call up and rescue first...

it's all in a days work, darling...never you mind...

peace...

~ n

2:40 PM  
Blogger tomvancouver said...

Hi Inger, was away for the holidays, well, in the hospital actually, but thank you for the Christmas wishes. Just now catching up on your blog, and gee, your firing people now......but knowing you, I'm sure it was justified. Oh, it's um Madgay, but I've killed him again, and now for this year I'm rainy gay.

1:58 AM  
Blogger Trudy Booty Scooty said...

Inger,

You were the vehicle that helped her make a change that needed to be made.

Taking a new road, or changing direction, is all part of our journey. And on that journey, there are road signs. You were an important road sign. And better that she take a new path now, before it is too late for her to see it.

I too have been in your position.

I can't not put myself in the shoes of others....and neither can you. But I am certain, she will be ok, and in the long run, she will be better than had she stayed.

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home