Friday, January 26, 2007

Peddling

It's so cold today that the exhaust from the cars doesn't even want to dissipate: all those puffy chains just hang there together in the air. Dazed. Much--the dazed part--like the kids, who succumbed to the thing they hate: an undershirt under a turtleneck under a Norwegian sweater under a winter coat. With a scarf. No arguments from either of them this morning. The new car has heated seats; Liam turned on his knees and rested his cheek against them while the car was warming up. The rest of him was warm from layers. I smiled; the new car makes me feel safe. I don't know how else to say it. The heavy sound the doors make when they close--the color, the curves, the seats--the quiet hum: I feel like I've passed to the next level in a game and reached a checkpoint.

Let go. Breathe. Progress saved.

I imagine disaster scenarios in any moment of extremity. I imagine--when I run out without my jacket to turn the car on--what the progression would be like if I didn't have a warm house to return to. How I would die, and how it would feel. Maybe this mindset is created: too much Man vs Wild on the tube. I keep the whole thing to myself--I don't lecture the kids about survival techniques (except for the one about punching a shark in the nose; what are the chances either of them would ever need to?) But it's also experience: things happen, and once they happen to you you're changed because now you know they can happen. I don't let the kids see how thin the safety net is--everybody's safety net. I don't care who you are. It only takes a few bad turns.


Today I took them to see The Pursuit of Happyness. I thought I knew from the trailers what kind of flick it was: hard times--impossible times--then a big break and happy times. But it's not that at all. It was entirely hard times--entirely the pursuit, with blow after heartbreaking blow, and not until the final three minutes of a 2+ hour movie did the big break come. When it did finally come, it was earned--it was no gift of chance. Not the kind of movie I'd have taken them to see. Not yet.

They've never been more still in a theater. "Will we ever be poor like that?" Liam asked more than once. "No," I said. Though we were, only we had family that had spare beds, and a safe place to reboot, and free schools. "What happens if I'm that poor when I grow up?" Maisie asked. "Then you'll come to me," I said. "What if you're dead?" "You'll go to Liam, or to your own children. And if they ever come to you and you have money, you'll help them without making them ask you." That's the hard part--that last bit.

Hard times are a bit like cancer: you don't want to look at it--not on the corner, not on a movie screen--because there's enough of the arbitrary about it to make you feel vulnerable. I held the car key in my pocket on the way out of the theater. "I love our car," Liam said.

7 Comments:

Blogger Grumpy Old Man said...

The lights went out the other night for about 3 hours, and I realized that our whole way of life hangs by a few threads. Any one of them could snap at any time, and if a couple do, you're cooked.

Think of the family that turned onto a side road in Oregon and almost froze to death (Mr. Kim went for help and he did die).

Energy flowing through a system can enable it to organize itself and resist the universal tendency to entropy. Cut off the energy or lose the organization, and you're history (or, really, even history ends).

Hence I always tell the girls I love them when we part. We may never meet again.

7:59 PM  
Blogger mckait said...

I think anyone who has children has those thoughts, Inger...


It is scary in the extreme. Now that my own kids are grown.. it is even more scary...


great post..

good to see you..

7:37 AM  
Blogger tomvancouver said...

I spent a year as a homeless person, even though I didn't have to, at that time, I simply couldn't handle the commitment of having an address, and it was the roughest year of my life, that still haunts me. For years, I lived in the cheapest apartment I could find, knowing that if I lost everything again, I'd still have a home. I was making a middle class wage at the time, and friends of mine thought it odd, but they didn't know my history. This was above a gay bathouse in a prairie city in a rough part of town.The condo I live now,is rented, but since the housing boom here, , it's been appraised at over 500 g, so I'm afraid the landlord will either raise the rent dramatically or will decide to sell it. He hasn't raised the rent in years though, and we've fixed everything ourselves,,,,,,,but I'm rambling. I'm not going to see that movie.

12:31 PM  
Blogger nancy =) said...

the image of liam with his cheek on the heated car seat just melts my heart...

and it warms my heart knowing the 3 of you are in such a warm safe place...

you do such a good job, momma...

peace...

9:30 AM  
Blogger alan said...

I have no doubt your kids will always be able to turn to each other...I worry about my own as they isolate themselves from each other!

We lost power in my neighborhood for 10 days a few years back during an ice storm. I was better off than most, as I have two gas furnaces that aren't electric ignition or blower driven, a gas hot water tank, and a gas stove I could light with a match. I pulled the bottom drawers out of the fridge and put a dishpan full of ice in it to make it an ice box, and we used candles and a Coleman lantern for light, along with flashlights. Most of my neighbors had to go to friends, family or motels...

It doesn't take much to turn this world into something inhospitable!

alan

3:57 PM  
Blogger sjobs said...

Yes, I wonder when I tell Kiran we cannot afford to go to Disneyworld or have the newest gadits what runs through her mind. In the morning, when she asks me to stay home, I tell her I cannot or we might end up living underbridge, I bite my tongue. I know we never even in the worst of times, but she really doesn't get that. I need to keep my mouth shut.

She is starting to understand the meaning of a dollar since her allowance has started and she has to pay for anything she might want, outside of food.


It sounds like a movie I need to watch.

Love ya,

Mary

10:00 PM  
Blogger Connie in FL said...

How quickly things can change.
An instant can alter a lifetime.
Indeed, a wrong turn can ultimately spell disaster.

Worrying about your children never ends... it is always a concern no matter the age.
It's being a parent.
It's love.

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home