Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Signed,

I've got a thing for Maisie's first grade teacher--her teacher from three years ago. His mother used to be my ballet teacher when I was a kid. He's painfully shy, surprisingly prosaic, loves the kids, has a nice smile. He writes beautifully. He's extremely circumspect. He's shorter than me. He might be gay; there is that impediment to dealing with my thing. Liam is now in first grade, and this teacher has moved up to teaching second grade, and so until Liam is through second grade--look how I have this mapped--I figure all things must be as they are: perfectly friendly, perfectly circumspect--because, well, that's how things are. Could be that's how things are because he's gay; my neighbor thinks he is. Could be I'm just not his type. But what does it cost me to entertain it?

But that's not the story.

Three years ago I sent this guy a family Christmas card. Standard teacher card: "Best wishes for the holidays." And I signed our three names. A week later we got a card back from him. "Merry Christmas to all of you! Love, John."

I honestly didn't know it was from him. I couldn't think of any Johns I knew who'd sign with love, and there was no return address. All the kids' teachers sign their cards with love, but it's different when the teacher is male--and when he signs with his first name. No? Am I wrong? Maisie was startled; she shares my crush, though she doesn't know about mine, and she still has that card propped up on her dresser.

Two years ago: we write our Christmas cards, and send one to him, and this time I sign our names with love, too. Because I guess it's OK. Though I admit I felt a little odd about it--a little, oh, exposed. His card comes back a week later. "Fondly, John."

Hmmph. I laughed, but was embarrassed. Maisie was pissed. "Fondly? FONDLY??" That card was also preserved, right next to the first, though in a fire she'd grab the other.

This year we sent him another card. I was clearly not signing with love, but Maisie and Liam--both old enough to sign now--signed their own names with love. And they write so big that there wasn't a lot of room for me, so it didn't look odd, I thought, when I only signed my name. No love. No fondness. No best wishes.

His card arrives today. "Love John." Of course.

All of which I share, dear friends, because can you FRICKING BELIEVE I'm drawing out this little imaginary flirtation of mine at the pace of once a year--sustained only by Christmas card sign-offs?? Once a year. And training Maisie, too. She closed his card today, grinned, and said, "Next year I'm kissing it with lipstick. He'll faint."

14 Comments:

Blogger phosda said...

ba! i love this.

we got a card today. with a photo of two pretty kids inside. their mother was nowhere in the picture, but signed the card with love. which made me happy. it's the first christmas card we got, which made me even happier.

i send mine out late. i wait till epiphany. i was baptised byzantine rite, so it's sort of legitimate, but mostly i'm afraid of the post office until january.

12:21 AM  
Blogger Grumpy Old Man said...

If he doesn't have 500 pounds a year and a baronetcy to boot, forget him.

12:33 AM  
Blogger alan said...

I finally got our letter written last night, and the cards went out this morning...but almost everything is wrapped this year (the first time ever)!

If I were a teacher, with all of the lawsuits that go on in this world, I might waver on how to sign things as well!

Just a thought...

Merry Christmas if I don't see you before then!

Love,
alan

3:36 AM  
Blogger STB said...

I love your kids!
STB

10:13 AM  
Blogger nancy =) said...

another perfectly delightful snippet from the life of inger & co....

maybe you could all start exchanging valentine's as well and really get this thing moving by the time liam's in 2nd grade next year =)...

peace...

5:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You made me smile with endearment for the childish cuteness of some adults (both of you).

9:15 AM  
Blogger Trudy Booty Scooty said...

arrrgh this beta signon thing is driving me crazy!

As I was saying before it got deleted:

OMG

I LOVE you and your kids! What a great post.

Oh, And just imagine what if.....(happy shivers)

and if not....well, you can still wrap up in the idea of it indefinitely.

:)

10:25 AM  
Blogger mckait said...

yep

I sure can believe it..

if I told you how I sustain the love of my life.. you would be amazed, and likely feel sorry for me.. then conclude that I am quite desperate.

I am , of course..

12:15 PM  
Blogger mckait said...

ps to Grumpy

I LOVE your answer!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12:15 PM  
Blogger sjobs said...

Hey, I loved the picture of the kiddos. You should be honored, you are the only one a sent a card to. This year I am still having a hard time getting in the mood and the big holiday is just days away.

I feel like everything has been forced on me this season. Maybe it is the lack of finances and so on. Kiran has enough energy for the two of us.

Give the kids a hug from both Mary and Kiran.

Love ya,

7:28 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

LOL! That child of yours has a wicked sense of humour! Surely a gal after my own heart.

9:32 AM  
Blogger puhpaul said...

If he is gay can you send him my way, up to Prince Rupert? We could always use another caring primary teacher and, if he is a sweet as you say, sounds like the guy I've been looking for.

thanks, paul

9:52 PM  
Blogger I n g e r said...

Paul! You're adorable. If I can't have him, he's all yours, baby.

11:03 PM  
Blogger tomvancouver said...

Inger, this is too funny. But even if he is gay, it's always flattering when a woman has a little crush on you, and you'll never know until you ask. I never mind if someone asks me, but then again he may be uncomfortable with that because some of the parents of the other kids may go ballistic.
I thought you were a lesbian when I first discovered your blog, not sure why, I think it was Liam's adoption. And your smart.
Love Tom

2:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home