Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Progress

I bought a car. A Honda--a CRV, with better mileage than I have now but not as good as I'd get in a Prius. It was so strange--so casual: in ten minutes I picked a car and shook the guy's hand and ran off to catch a train to the city, and we just agreed I'd come back at some point to sort out financing. Who does that, except rich people; I bought it from the dealer in Westport, and I was dressed in my nice duds, and I guess he made certain assumptions. Not that it matters, but it was a far cry from the reception I got at Stamford Toyota, where I showed up in jeans with my brown kid and the guy started nagging the cash out of me before I'd even decided on a model. No surprise, I know: we all size up strangers and manage accordingly. But there is something quite pleasant about shopping without the nag factor; there's something quite nice about not being talked down to by some guy who finished his education ten years before I did--some guy who says "aksed" and "ecsetera." I should think more about how I present myself. I really don't--hardly ever; too many other things require thought.

I had such a wonderful day yesterday. I'm working on the launch of a new brand--a series of books for women. The lead title is an extremely powerful book by a woman in her mid-thirties who was diagnosed with a rare cancer a few years ago. (Her story launches in a documentary on TLC later next year. ) I met her for dinner. She's drop-dead gorgeous, for starters, and though she's quite pretty in fact, it's this aura she carries with her that hits you: she looks at you and it's like staring into clear pools: disarmingly direct and honest. She's funny and self-deprecating--she tells a great story, even when it's a story about trying to make sense of dying as a crucial part of living. I can't get her out of my mind; I can't think how her mother has come to terms with their new reality (because an individual death never seems as horrible to me as coping with the individual death must be for the ones left behind.) I love that she embeds her mother in everything: in proofing her sample chapters, in making sense of sickness, in refusing so many of the labels we assign to cancer and cancer survivors. Not to say that cancer could ever be a gift, but in her case it has clearly realigned her life in the most astonishing creative ways. If only we could all do that, minus the cancer part. Dump the shit--seize the dream, speak your own truth, etc. But courage like that--I think it often needs to be jump-started. Such a shame for the rest of us.

"Do you have a butler, and does he pack your lunch with love?" Liam asks me this morning when I'm waking up. I smile but don't answer. It's going to be so much fun watching him grow up.

7 Comments:

Blogger MES said...

This might be a ditto post but here we go again.

I LOVE the fact that I am a part of Liam growing up and you have let me be a part of it.

It is always so interesting to pay attention to how one gets treated in the different types of clothes and who is with you at the time.

Isn't it a wonderful feeling when you enjoy getting up in the morning and going to your place of employment.

Mary

11:58 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

snap judgements make me so very sad. it hurts when you wake up and realize how often it occurs. i cry about stuff like that. another reason i just don't fit in this world.

1:01 PM  
Blogger tomvancouver said...

I don't know much about cars, but I used to drive my sister's Honda and loved it. Pisses me off that other car salesman treated you shabbily because of your clothes and because of Liam's colour. I still think you'd both me much happier here not that Vancouver's perfect, but race rarely is an issue.

1:29 PM  
Blogger phosda said...

for liam: i have no butler, but my lunches are always packed with love. you're welcome to have a picnic with me some time and see for yourself.

3:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

years ago, while shopping for furniture, i took my parents to a store i knew had exactly what we needed because i had seen it on the third floor during my lunch hour. when i returned in the evening i told the salesman who came up to us and heard us speaking portuguese, that we were interested in buying living room furniture. he walked us to the elevator and hit the basement level. i asked him why is he taking us there. he replied, it's the bargain basement. we never left the elevator. went back up to the main floor. left the store and never returned to that store again.

9:37 PM  
Blogger tomvancouver said...

Inger, I think you are the most wonderful person I've never met. You make me want to be better. And you should write a book, and I will battle the crowds to get it.

5:02 AM  
Blogger nancy =) said...

the honda crv is so cute! veddy wise choice, but of course what else from a veddy wise lady...

i want to marry liam...i know i've said this before but i am damn serious...how lucky the 2 of you are to have found each other again...

peace...

1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home