Thursday, December 28, 2006

Is, Is

"The thing is, is that..."

Makes me nuts--like the first "is" is an embedded part of the phrase preceding the second "is." Bush used it today, talking about his new year's resolution: "My resolution is, is to..." Keep the troops safe, he says.

"Alot" makes me nuts, too. I see it. A lot. In resumes submitted by eager applicants, often. Don't people spell check resumes anymore?

One guy sent me a resume today for a publicity spot, and he'd formatted it with stuttering prose headlines. "Once Upon He Studied" heads off his education section, e.g. Another skipped the resume entirely and sent me a one-paragraph letter pitching me one of our lead titles, tying it (appropriately but poorly) to Ford's death, and closing with this: "Just $55,000 and this pitch is yours."

It's dangerous to go the creative route when you're applying for work. I've never seen it work--not once.

I had a college teacher once who wouldn't let us use the phrases "based on" or "deals with"--and though I couldn't really tell you why, beyond his complaint that they are imprecise and often used as crutches in imprecise thinking, to this day I don't use them. I'll stop and struggle for the better phrase, even though the teacher's long dead now.

I opened yet another college savings account for the kids today. My mother thought of college in the purest educational terms: a period of exploration. Anything more focused than liberal arts was, I think, something less than good. She had a certain vision. The vision died a little death when her two oldest kids graduated with big debt and took low-level jobs having nothing at all to do with their majors. But you've got to admire it, anyway; the world needs more than MBAs and doctors. I hear "is,is" or see "alot" or--unfair, but there you have it--hear "based on" or "deals with" and the person in front of me drops a little in my estimation. I'm a snob in the most bizarre ways--a snob over the most ridiculous things: things nobody but me cares about. Standard snob fare--cars, schools, clothing, jobs--those things don't hit me.

Maisie asks me: what should she study? And will she be rich if she studies drama? I tell her the truth: she won't have a lot of money working in drama, but if it's her passion, passion matters more than money. I believe it: I'm a believer. But money's not bad, either. Having no money is a challenge. She rather fancies the idea of a big house, no doubt because we don't live in one; I could see her choosing the money career.

"The thing is, is that I like nice things." That's what she tells me tonight.

I can't get her into an English lit program fast enough.

12 Comments:

Blogger alan said...

The more I listen to Garrison, the more I want to go take some English classes! I hear things that "jar" me all the time and wonder am I the only one who notices or cares? I know I'm not that well spoken and things jump out at me; I can only imagine the ones I'm missing!

Happy New Year!

alan

2:34 AM  
Blogger Grumpy Old Man said...

Our family particularly loathes "anyways."

In nursery school, the following were forbidden: "Whatever," "Duuuh," and "Yeah, right." Less for grammatical reasons, I suppose, than for an unseemly sarcasm.

Then Katharine came home and announced that her kindergarten teacher, Miss Sophie, said "anyways," and we had to admonish her not to correct her teacher, even when she used a word that made us all gag.

Now, in high school Honors English, the verb "to be" in all its forms, is forbidden. (See E-prime.) No "He's an idiot." "He seems an idiot," and "He appears to be an idiot" are ok.

Fer sure.

6:46 AM  
Blogger Grumpy Old Man said...

In fact, "He appears TO BE an idiot" is verboten.

I possess the attribute, idiocy.

6:47 AM  
Blogger sjobs said...

Inger take a visit to the Iron Range in Northern MN. The way they talk up there will drive you crazy.

Happy New Year Friend.....

9:07 AM  
Blogger Trudy Booty Scooty said...

Holy Schmoly. That E-Prime thing irks my being! lol

Inger...and why oh why do people constantly type loose for the word lose? If my pants were loose I wouldn't be trying to lose, fergadssakes!

Happy New Year!!

9:53 AM  
Blogger Grumpy Old Man said...

What it is, is irksome.

What it be, is being irksome.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Blogzie said...

And to think that we will have an entire generation of children who were raised with a President who literally cannot speak.

And yet, some of the same people who voted for him think it’s a good idea to re-write classic literature even though our school system allows millions of children to graduate each year without the ability to read or write.

Yes, bad grammar and bad spelling are intolerable, however, the ability to put together a rational thought seems to be a much larger problem.

x0x0x

12:37 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

blogzie makes me heave a sigh of relief, every time.

i cannot imagine NOT wanting my children to glean all the education they possibly can.
so worthwhile... even when they do not yet know what they want to "be"
(you know?)

7:44 PM  
Blogger Barbara said...

Based on what you say in this post, I think this deals with the annoying issue of improper english usage irregardless of the fact that most people hate grammer and can't spel.

Can I take my tongue out of me cheek now? (big grin)

9:22 PM  
Blogger Erin said...

We moved to MN when I was 7, and my mother's biggest gripe was the usage of the word "with." As in, "I'm going to the store, do you want to go with?" I also had a teacher who prohibited split infinitives. Those are both things that I can't stand to hear still as well. Funny how that works, isn't it? Maybe our kids will still pick them up....

1:24 PM  
Blogger tomvancouver said...

Inger, you are such a wise and kind Mom. I talked my niece out of law school, she wanted a job that paid well, but I told her of all my friends who hated it. She's studying to be a physiotherapist so at least she'll be helping those in pain.

2:44 PM  
Blogger tomvancouver said...

P.S. I just want a job as your personal assistant and I'd be quite happy.

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home