Saturday, December 30, 2006

The Change

An old family friend used to be married to the grandson of a former president. Nice enough guy; the two of them came to family dinners often, and I think he had a thing for my mother. But his last name was, I think, a burden to him, and he never seemed able to get his feet underneath him. Lots of unemployment--lots of "consulting" work that didn't pay. Big laughter--barking laughter. The wife was married to him for 20ish years, until two years ago when he chose his 20-years-junior ghost writer instead. Like nobody saw that coming. Now he's married this other woman, and the two of them have avoided debtors and lawyers by moving to Europe, where they live with their two well-named infants in an apartment owned by her parents. I offer no judgment; I've made my own choices, and I've hurt people.

His former wife tells us last night that her alimony stopped the day the guy boarded the plane for the Alps. She has put her house in Iowa on the market--she can't afford the tiny mortgage--and if it ever sells she will have to move in with her mother in a tiny place on Long Island and live off what cash is left. She sat at the table to worry and rage out loud about it all last night, and her hands were shaking--not just from the rage, I think, but from some affliction--and she mused about making a living from her drawings: she wants me to show her how to sell on eBay. I can't imagine how those hands are going to pull off the delicate pen drawings she used to create. She exhales hopelessness. I'm vaguely surprised she hasn't done herself in.

20 years ago this woman created the most amazing art. She gave us some for Christmas gifts. She illustrated award-winning children's books. But she always dabbled at it--even when her husband was "consulting" and they really needed cash. She could've taken a job--she was offered jobs. She didn't want to work. She said so. Her husband would complain about it here, privately. He resented it.

I sat beside her. I asked about her kids--both of them fuck ups. No solutions there. I looked across the table at another friend whose husband left her for a younger woman a month after they'd adopted their only child--now 12 years ago. She, too: trained social worker who stopped working when her husband got a big banking job. Now she lives in a house she can't afford--the big, old family house. She's tried to build a landscape architecture business, but it couldn't sustain the life she and her husband bought into--the one she's still living. She refinances and sucks the equity out of the house every third year: pays credit card bills with other credit cards: dreads the day her daughter turns 18 and the alimony disappears and the whole scene falls apart. She has no plan. For 12 years she's had no plan. I watched her watching this other woman, and I knew what she was thinking. There it is: there's the cliff, right there.

I don't understand this whole scene--and I don't mean to say that I'm unsympathetic, because I swear I am. But if your partner screws you over, why on earth would you not work? Why would you sit and groan until you psych and age yourself out of the job market and have no means to sustain yourself? Why would you wait for the ex- to make it right financially or emotionally? I understand depression--I know people need to mourn. I swear, I'm supportive of these two. Maybe I'd lock up, too. Who knows? But last night I realized that I'm angry at them, too. Women as the vulnerable ones--women as the victims. Please. They have daughters.

Further in my growing sense that marriage is not a healthy proposition: that it induces unhealthy dependency, and that it's best avoided. Go live in sin; the footing is more equal there.

5 Comments:

Blogger alan said...

Sin has it's good points!

:o)

alan

2:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally share your attitude and your view. But I want to try to understand why some women are not able to look after themselves. I think that the reason for their passive behavior is probably to be found in the way they were raised, considering themselves as housewives before than women or people. I am convinced that the fact that women are generally more emotionally dependent on their partner has nothing to do with their being financially dependent, which has to be contrasted in every way.

As regards broken marriages, it is certainly very sad for the one who is abandoned, yet it means happiness for the one who falls in love again.
Love ends, it is nobody's fault.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

tragic, true stuff here. ouch.

for me, it is impossible to be in another woman's head and heart, and understand her pain and weakness. i feel sorrow and compassion, when the psyches of children are on the line. that gets to me. we've all done our share of damage.
my mother worked, when few mothers did. grandmother too. they raised their children, due to the changes in their marriages.(one widowed, one divorced.)neither became destitute, ever.
this in no way secured my overall happiness,or theirs. just saying, it's always a struggle for we women, picking up the pieces.
i'm all for living in sin at this, and thanks for that vote-of-confidence. :)

2:21 PM  
Blogger nancy =) said...

sin is good, yes...

in my experience, i totally sold my self when i married and had kids...i bought into some illusion of how it was supposed to be...i just recently find myself back in reality...not a comfortable place to be, at all, reality...but i still like it better here, in reality, than the disillusioned place i just crawled out from...

i feel for the women you speak of...how or why we women do this to ourselves, i don't know...you'd think the 70's would've taught us something, no?...all i can say is raise your daughters differently, girls...

cheers to a happy and prosperous 2007, dear inger =) *clink*

7:37 PM  
Blogger phosda said...

of course it's somebody's fault when love ends. both parties are generally to blame, but it's still somebody's fault.

love isn't a natural phenomenon. there's nothing in the least natural about honouring, cherishing, staying there throgugh wealth, poverty, sickness and health, especially when the amygdala kicks in and tells your whole body to flee the scene posthaste. that's why i love love. it defies self-interest, self-protection, self-preservation. the only sad thing is when someone's already decided to stop loving and leave, and all that self-protection, self-interest, and self-preservation stay gone, too. that's a pickle. a big pickle. a bad one.

i wouldn't expect you to ever stop finding marriage suspect less than suspect, inger, but i here is the one problem i've found with living in sin. you're absolutely right about the equal footing; that's what kind of sucks.
since joel cooks, too, he thinks he has veto power on menus when it's it my turn to cook. i can't remember the last time what to make for dinner didn't become a thoroughly obnoxious 'discussion' about the virtues of free range chicken and how we can't have one pot meals two nights in a row. sometimes i pine for a man who didn't cook at all, and who just ate what was set before him instead of being all judicious and fair and reasonable about it all the time.

more equality, more talking, and i'm not sure it's the fairest trade.

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home