Saturday, December 09, 2006

Advent 2

My sister is visiting--the one I'm closest to. In the next room Maisie is asking her about the story I tell: that my sister reported once, as a child, seeing a spaceship floating outside her bedroom window. "Is that true?" Maisie asks, in her best serious voice. (Privately she thinks it's a load of bullshit.) "I don't know what else it could have been," Kathy says to her, and she's talking down to Maisie a little--still talking to her as if she were six instead of nine; Kathy doesn't know what a world there is between six and nine. "I was awake--I know I wasn't dreaming," she says. Maisie nods, fingers on her chin. I can tell she's not convinced, but I'm glad she's learned to put the face on. In the kitchen Liam is examining my mother's face. "You know, Granny, if I count all the lines on your face I'll be able to tell how old you are." And so she tells him to count, and he does, and turns out she's 32. These things bring me unspeakable joy--these casual chats between my children and my family. Moments when my safety net becomes visible--when the "if I die" worry that underlies everything gets a little soothing pat on the head. They'd all close ranks. There'd be no air between those arms.

We've stepped up our church attendance; it's that time of year. Maisie joined the church choir today--totally unprompted by me, though I think she has a very pretty voice and the guy who runs the music program is out of sight. Much better than the after-school choir she's in now, run by a moody guy with body odor. "Will I get to wear the outfit?" she asks on the way out to the car, and suddenly her motivation is clear: the robe and the cross: the outfit. But so what? People have turned to faith for less.

I've missed writing, but the weekends are so packed this month, and there's no time for anything during the week. I've got to say, this full-time, out-of-the-house work stuff really screws up a good thing. And Mary Grace talks this morning about gift buying and cooking and card sending like they're bad things: like they miss the whole point, and I can only think that I guess I won't bring her that bottle of wine and plate of krumkakes this year. I love the gifting and cooking and carding: it's the day job I could do without.

You know--if I could paint the world.

6 Comments:

Blogger phosda said...

i'm with maisie. it's all about the outfit. i'm lucky because i have to pick three (three!) this week. an opening, an alum party, book party. i'm so excited i can't stand it.

sorry about your grind.

have you ever thought about prostitution? i considered it but lack the rack how are yours? not at all drunk, are they?

i've missed you.

2:46 AM  
Blogger mckait said...

congrats on the car....and on the family :)

in my life, my children were more likely to have those chats with my friends than my family.. four kids was too offputting for my mom.. my sister was certain that her chilern were perfect.. she even said so out loud!

my kids.. were and are opinionated, free spirited and interested... as i had hoped they would be..

not bad kids, by any means.. just.. open..

sigh

anyway.. i know what you mean about the what ifs..

i made it till my kids were grown, and am grateful... lol

christmas is not the same now. it is sort of sad for me with them so far away, and not always able to get home..

i hang the lights, and put up the tree and bake the cookies.. but.. something huge is missing..

did you change jobs? how did i miss that.. i visit here often

o well

happy and happy to you..

5:56 AM  
Blogger Grumpy Old Man said...

I guess Maisie's opinion is no longer private.

Ah, sisters!

My sister says of my girls, who are 16 months apart, that when we're long gone and they're 80, they'll still be bickering in some apartment.

Kiki came over (father dropped her off). Two minutes later older sister came in and announced, "My stupid little sister forgot her purse," and dumped it into my hands.

11:13 AM  
Blogger sttropezbutler said...

You are so smart.

Really.

STB

9:45 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

There is nothing more wonderful than listening to such conversations or sharing in the simplicity of such moments. I couldn't agree more.

4:23 PM  
Blogger franklie said...

My youngest son loved to play baseball. One day I watched him look at himself in the mirror with his uniform on. He looked at me with his big beautiful brown eyes and said "It's all about the uniform, Mom".

7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home