Sunday, November 26, 2006

Trees and cars

The fake Christmas tree went up last night. Fake--bleuch!--but environmentally sensible, and no more needles in the cracks of the wood floor, and no more brittle, droopy trees by the time Christmas Eve rolls around. There is that.

I noticed this year that the tree had a peculiar smell when I pulled it out of its canvas storage bag. A sort of musty, cat smell. Liam pointed out the irony: that our environmentally sensible kitty litter smells like Christmas trees and our Christmas tree smells like kitty litter.

That's just plain wrong. I'm putting the fake tree outside--we'll see if it's indoor/outdoor, and only the fit will survive--and we're getting the real thing. Enough already.

***
Went to the Toyota dealer to look at their certified used cars. I didn't see anything I liked--not used, not new. (Had the standard shitty encounter with a salesman; as I'm walking out the door he's shouting new deals at me--cutting the price by $750 every time he opens his mouth. Which meant I would not buy from him, because I'd think I was schnookered no matter what price I ultimately paid. Why don't they just price the cars fairly and shut up already?) I'll never buy a Ford again; there's history there, most of it, admittedly, relating to customer service. But, too, I need fuel efficiency. I'm in the odd position to be able to buy pretty much whatever I want, but there's not a make or model on the planet that rings my bells. The BMWs sit well on the road, my sister tells me; she just bought one. But I feel uncomfortable with the brand; I want something a little more anonymous: I don't want to hear the comments--I don't like the volume, the statement.

Which made me think last night: would I be happiest if I just disappeared into a little poof--if I didn't even make a ripple?? Car purchase as existential reflection. Exhausting. Somebody just go buy it for me, OK? Pick whatever. I'll pay you back.

11 Comments:

Blogger Grumpy Old Man said...

My daughter in Texas bought a Honda Fit, gets 39 mpg. My sister, who has a house in Litchfield County, a retail business and two cats, bought a CR-V.

I have a Honda Element. All got good reviews from my family.

Wife has a Lincoln Navigator. Nice but huge.

Thereby hang many tales, but I'm hanging by my thumbs.

8:57 AM  
Blogger sjobs said...

We have a fake tree but I just cannot have real one due to the fact of allergies. Kiran had a wonderful time putting up the tree and decorations. Today we are off to see the Grinch at the Childrens Theater.

As far as cars go, I would never buy a ford again either. Too many problems with all three that I have had. I love my Santa Fe but it is not that easy on the gas.

Enjoy getting your real tree.

Love ya,

Mary

9:21 AM  
Blogger mckait said...

I bought a new fake tree this year.. due to the fact that I chucked ann old one off the back porch a couple of years ago.. and the even older fake tree that i still had last year was a mess.. it shed like a real tree!

so..

out it goes..

I bought a very narrow... ( my sister says it is a pencil tree???) tree this year...prelit

i know
cop out
bleh

but, to be honest.. I love it!

it is tall and skinny and I can fit it into the space in the dining room that I prefer using..

( why dining room? long story.. )
and, I did not have to do battle with the lights..
Of course, it tried to electrocute dan when he put it together and plugged it in, due to a broken bulb.. but ..

as for the car? yuck! i hate having to buy a new car..
I hate mine.. I only bought it for the price.. and it is just not me
bleh

( althought it is a little better since i smudged inside and hung a goddess and an angel on the mirror.........still............

10:58 AM  
Blogger nancy =) said...

you can't go wrong with a bmw, even a pre-owned...that's what i drive...the x5 or x3 is very practical, but of course i'm anything but practical so i drive the convertible...but i'd be just as happy in a honda or a toyota...are you thinking suv or car?

i chucked the fake tree a few years back and have been buying real ones...around here they charge a gazillion dollars for them tho, and then there's the light fiasco...the older i get the less i want to do...

let us know what you decide to do re: the car...

peace...

11:48 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

my 20 year old volvo has been a dream, really. bought it used, from my dad. we also have a 16 year old subaru legacy, with all wheel drive.

i would buy another used volvo, but i promised myself that the next car would be a hybrid, so that's wht i'll do. that's WHEN the old ones wear out or break down. i am into using something up, before i replace it. (un-american, i know.)

can you even believe that folks continue to have the audacity to drive giant suv's? i don't get it, but that's just me. cars really bum me out, overall.

best of luck, inger!

2:38 PM  
Blogger Grumpy Old Man said...

Annie has a point.

I had a Volvo for 10 years and sold it for a song to my assistant who drove it for another 10.

Or you could get a horse. Maisie's at the age where she'd like that.

10:45 AM  
Blogger I n g e r said...

Oh my God, Grumpy--I love the new pic! Laughing.

Thanks for all the tips, gang.

11:03 AM  
Blogger phosda said...

glad you're getting a real tree. but then, i haven't watched an inconvenient truth, and don't know what damage they're doing, but then i think, how many petrochemicals are there in a fake tree, and figure it probably runs into the hundreds, and then you add in all the third world labour and doubt it makes a bit of a difference.

except for the smell. cat pee or fresh pine? no brainer.

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I recommend this excellent car dealer scam news feed. You'll be amazed at how car salesmen swindle customers.

10:14 PM  
Blogger tomvancouver said...

Oh and Inger, thank you for keeping a memorial of the deposed Phaggot for me on your blog list. Still think you should move to Vancouver where White woman with Asian children are as common as rain.

6:04 PM  
Blogger tomvancouver said...

And I read your blog with every new post, just wish you'd post more.

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home