Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Tradition

Tomorrow will be Mark's first Thanksgiving with his new wife. Tomorrow will be Neil's last with the woman he's been married to for more than twenty years. I don't know why the confluence overwhelms me, but it does, and I feel sad. "Be a good husband," I said to Mark, not knowing what else to say. "Whatever you're going to do, don't drag it out," I said to Neil, having been a player in that unhappy model once. The thing is, I can't imagine Mark being a good husband, and to this hour I think Neil is a great husband. But it's hard to be a good husband if you fall for somebody else. There is that.

I love Thanksgiving. Some have been more good than others--some filled with people I love, and other fairly solitary, as this year's will be. But all good in their way. The meal hasn't changed--not since the day I was five: I still make my mother's stuffing, still smash turnips, peel spuds, prefer jellied cranberry over the relish. It's the Norwegian in me: the ruttedness, or rootedness. Pass the tradition. Tusen tak.

I hope you all have a wonderful day tomorrow. Thank you for your friendship; can't tell you the hours of pleasure you bring me.

Happy Thanksgiving.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Just dropping by to wish you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving!Blessings to you, Maisie and Liam!!

xo,
Deb

2:30 PM  
Blogger Grumpy Old Man said...

Turnips?

Never hitched a ride on that truck, and never fell off it.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours.

2:35 PM  
Blogger mckait said...

Inger... I have missed you.. you have not been to visit in a long while..

I enjoy coming here, though.. just to say hello, and read your thoughts and live events.

Today is Thanksgiving..

I have much to be thankful for.. and so, I know do you..

Today, will be my dads last thanksgiving..

he has lung cancer.. it has spread throughout his lymph system..

It is okay though.. He told me he has had a good life, and is ready to go.. and asked me if i had any messages for anyone on the other side..

I am thankful that we were able to mend our relationship... and we are now comfortable with each other, and life. And it seems death..

He is a good husband.. not so much to my mom.. but to Shirley.. They seem to be meant for each other.. so, who knows .. maybe this time Mark will make it?


For you my friend.. I wish much happiness and time to enjoy the miracles in your life..

take care
kath

8:48 AM  
Blogger nancy =) said...

all the best to you and yours, my dearest...

thanks for sharing your radiance and your brilliance with all of us...

peace ~
n

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know, I shouldn't be asking questions but if my memory is correct, aren't there two Marks?
Is Neil a friend?

Have a wonderful vacation!

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy belated thanksgiving! Spent mine looking at old albums and thinking at all the people that have come into and out of my life.

xoxoxo

4:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home