Saturday, November 11, 2006

In search of...

I don't know if it's a biological trick--this metabolic resetting that occurs, perhaps post-pregnancy--but something that used to be easy for me is not anymore. I spent half an hour in the liquor store on Wednesday morning, reading Wine Spectator reviews, staring at labels--trying to divine the flavors within. I finally bought two bottles of red--a chianti classico and a dolcetto d'alba. (Dolcettos have always been dicey for me: either dreamy or rotgut.) Tonight I opened them both: the dolcetto first--except it was so bloody awful that I poured all $20 worth down the drain and uncorked the chianti. I quite like the chianti, but I'll nurse it since my stock of two bottles got dramatically depleted tonight.

Do you have a favorite red for less than $15? I need more better-odds choices.

Two tips for you: Nyers Merlot--pricey but yummy--and La Segreta Planeta (a white, but the only wine I ever liked enough to purchase by the case).

6 Comments:

Blogger phosda said...

porta da ravessa. inexpensive portuguese red that's my favourite for the money. ten or twelve bucks a bottle here in the city.

2:09 AM  
Blogger Grumpy Old Man said...

Two-buck Chuck--Charles Shaw Merlot for $ 1.99. Not bad. By the ninth bottle you can't tell the difference. ("At the opening of the Sydney Bridge Club they were fishing 'em out of the main sewers every half an hour.")

6:02 AM  
Blogger nancy =) said...

two buck chuck here as well...and it flies out of trader joe's by the pallet load in the extremely affluent town near here, so me and the gom can't be wrong...

besos...

11:12 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

ewww, two buck chuck!

try jepson vineyards 2002 zinfandel. yum-o

12:39 PM  
Blogger MES said...

I am not a red person but I have had the two buck chuck and it is not bad....

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does Welch's grape juice count?

About the only thing I do with wine is cook with it. I have to usually drink the sweet ones, Rieslings and such...what a wuss...I know.

3:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home