Saturday, April 29, 2006

Old country

I got lost in Crete once. It's easy to do if you just step off the road, which itself is barely signed. "What's the worst that can happen?" I figure they figured; you'll just encircle the island. But it's bigger than you think--bigger than it looks. The rental car company instructs visitors not to leave the main road. As if.

Zeus was born in a cave on Crete. The cave of Psychro. You get there and pay a few drachs and are handed a slim, square brown taper, and pointed up a steep hill. There are tour buses lined up--old people sitting on the ground at various stages of the path, heaving, winded. At the top there's an equally steep--and utterly dark--decline into the cave. It's wet and slimy--moss underfoot and on the walls--and you feel your breath on your face. It was magnificent: it felt like a womb; the walls looked fibrous and moist and torn, maybe from the arrogant, thundering birth of god, say. You can understand how the legend took root.

On the way back down to the car I overheard a guy talking about another cave, deep in the center of the island. The Idian cave--the place where Zeus was hidden from his father, Kronos, who intended to eat him.

God, I love divine drama. The Blue Guide had general directions. It was definitely off the main road. I decided to go. Four hours later I found it--unmarked by signs, untouched by tour buses. There was, in fact, no sign of human life anywhere near the place, except for one.


A small, old woman stood beside a mound of rocks that served as home, hanging the most delicate lace tablecloths on a string, drying them in the sun. She waved at me to stop when I drove by and so I did, because I couldn't figure out how on earth she manged to survive out there, surrounded for miles and miles by dirt and rocks. She pointed at her tablecloths. They were beautiful. Then she stepped closer to the car, and I was struck by her face: by her thick, leathered skin, and her eyes, black and glittering in a nest of wrinkles. She put her finger on my arm, looking at a ridiculous Mickey Mouse watch my little sister had given me to wear before I'd left. And it became clear that she wanted to trade: that silly watch for the beautiful table cloth.

I can't explain why I shook my head, floored the car and left. I think of her often, embarrassed; another fine American moment. But there was something about her, standing there in the middle of nothing but ancient myth, armed with nothing but rocks and lace, benign and threatening all at once.

Good hiding place.

14 Comments:

Blogger Grumpy Old Man said...

Mickey Mouse and the Crone!

Woman, I wish you could quit your day job and just write.

The Brazilians have a literary form they call "crónicas," at their best jewel-like little pieces of personal experience, like this one.

There's no market for crónicas in our benighted Republic. We prefer witless speculation about who's can beat Hillary two years from now.

I love our vast Philistine Republic, but I still wish you wrote full time.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Grumpy Old Man said...

"who's can beat Hillary"?

Lord, send me a copy editor.

Amen

10:16 AM  
Blogger phosda said...

why didn't you give her the watch?

inger's gone and shocked me.

cronicas, indeed. exactly the word for it, not that i was clever enough to remember it, but jewels, yes. a good blog is like living inside a jewelry box. hell, anything worth having is like living inside a jewelry box, and you just went and gave me the the beautiful beryl earring whose mate got lost in toronto.

10:42 AM  
Blogger sttropezbutler said...

What a snapshot Inger...it all came alive for me.

STB

12:17 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

i am consistently in awe of your gift, inger.

i bet even your shopping lists are eloquent! i mean it.

xoxoxoxo

3:13 PM  
Blogger alan said...

Your gift for taking us with you with your words...amazing!

Thank you for this beautiful portrait painted with words!

alan

12:52 AM  
Blogger mckait said...

What a story! First of all to be able to explore Crete! Sounds like a drem :)

As for the woman.. I wonder.. would she have been there the next day, if you had gone back, or had she stepped out of time ? Or had you??

How are things going with you? I have been thinking of you..

When are you writing your book? You need to , you know.. they are right.. you wright magic..
its important to share ..

7:53 AM  
Blogger Connie in FL said...

Wonderful picture. Wonderful story. Beautifully written... as usual!

9:32 AM  
Blogger RED QUILT MAKER said...

Thank You!

rQm

4:51 PM  
Blogger nancy =) said...

i wish you wrote full time, too...

peace...

11:34 PM  
Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

Awesome story! I can see her now...my husband brought back pictures of just such a little old woman...from Albania...she was selling corn by the wayside...I'm sorry you didn't trade her the watch...

1:28 PM  
Blogger Sublime said...

Maybe you were afraid of spoiling such an "untouched" landscape. The thought of a Mickey Mouse watch on the arm of a woman in a cave might have been too much to bear.

Take care,
Sublime

1:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lace tablecloths?

i would just about sell my soul. just ask daria; i can not pass up anything of this sort. one day, i know my remains will be found under mountains of hand embroidered linens.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

You are such a great writer and storyteller. Amazing gifts you have.

~Deb

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home